Since its launch to the public in 2006, Facebook has become much more than the ideal way to keep up with friends and family – it's a powerful tool for marketing your residential real estate agency. The global statistics about Facebook are mind-blowing, and they provide an indication of why the platform can be such a game-changing medium for your brand and its message.
Setting up a Facebook page is free. It’s never going to put a strain on your finances, provided that you have the time and the know-how to create regular posts that will appear in your followers’ feeds and keep them thinking about your brand. If you don’t have the time, we recommend hiring an experienced company to manage your engagement.
This section is all about posting on Facebook. Advertising on the platform will be covered in detail in a future chapter.
There’s no benefit to starting a Facebook page if you’re only going to post fresh content on it once a month. At the same time, if you were to post every hour, you would soon start to irritate your followers, who would then unfollow you. According to the experts, the “sweet spot” lies between posting three times every week and posting once daily. If you decide to choose the three times every week option, you should make sure that your posts are spread out through the week – Monday, Wednesday and Friday would be a great plan to follow.
The first thing you need to know is that a Facebook post without a picture is like going to watch a movie without popcorn – it just doesn’t work. As the old saying goes, “a picture is worth a thousand words” and in order for your post to get noticed, your picture should be high impact.
Depending on the content of your post, you could upload a series of pictures of a house that you are marketing. You could also post a picture celebrating the notable achievement of an agent or a picture of an area you are profiling. Whatever the content of your post is, the picture needs to complement the words.
The text that you put into a Facebook post needs to be carefully structured – while Facebook’s character limit is so high that it should never be a consideration, people have very short attention spans. Generally speaking, the longer your post is, the less likely someone is to read the whole thing. If you need to say more, direct the user to your website with a call to action. Make sure the text in your post is to-the-point, interesting and free of spelling/grammar errors.
With a little imagination, it’s easy to find content that makes a good Facebook post:
80% of the content that you upload to your Facebook page should be focused on your customers. Think of things to say that are related to why they have connected with you – which is to buy, sell or rent residential real estate. The other 20% of your content can be posts where you talk about your business – what you offer, what you have achieved and what sets you apart from your competitors.
PRO MOVE: Thanks to Facebook’s scheduling tool, there’s no need to be in front of your computer or on your phone at the moment when you want your latest post to go live. Facebook now has its own scheduling service, so making use of an external scheduling programme is no longer necessary. There are also ways to link your website and Facebook page so that news articles and/or properties are posted automatically without having to double data capture into Facebook.